Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tag Punch Star Card

I have been wanting to make one of these for the last year. Ever since I saw it on someones blog. I never had the time or energy to do all that punching until now. I found step by step instructions on splitcoast stampers http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/tag_punch_star/.




Speaking of punches you just have to look at this http://stampwithheather.typepad.com/stamp_with_heather/2009/01/monkey-around.html I just have to make one of these, aren't they the cutest thing you have ever seen.


Anyway back to the card. I spotted a challenge on one of the blogs I visit http://tracyshappyplace.blogspot.com/. To help get a head start on Christmas cards. I thought this was an awesome idea. I missed the challenge deadline - Something I do frequently but I did finish them and she is going to have one every month. The next one will be posted February 15th if you feel up to the challenge. Hopefully I can make the next one in time. So here are my finished Christmas cards. I actually made 6 but only had to show 5 in the photo to meet the challenge.



All the cards I have seen like this in the past have all shown 2 stars layered and it made me think. What on earth am I going to do with all the punched out tags. You know the middle piece that doesn't get used for the star. Well in order to make my cardstock and vellum go further I had the brain wave of using them to make a smaller star. Here's what I did step by step more or less.


I put 4 of the tags together and taped them so they would not come apart. Your best doing this on the reverse side. My Silver cardstock was the same on both sides so it didn't matter. I did this twice.


I put the second set on top of the first as shown in the above photo. I used my glue snail to glue them both together. I then cut out the middle of the tags just the same as the original instructions told me to do for the vellum star.




The other good thing about doing this is that the pieces you cut off can also be used again as photo corners. Can you tell I hate to waste. LOL. Once you have finished you are left with a star as shown below.




Which fits perfectly behind your vellum star.



Extra Info:


*Cardstock used: Whisper White, Silver from Archiver's and Awesome shiny swirly blue from my friend Sonya.
*Snowflake brad
*Swirl and sentiment were Embossed. One in silver, one in white.
*Vellum is Disney Pixie Dust Vellum
*Swirl from TAC set Holly Swirls
*Sentiment from SU set Snow Swirled

Thanks for looking


Hugs
Nic


**Added After Posting. - I just noticed on tracy's blog where it said to use ribbon for the challenge. I had fully intended too but when I got the stars finished and the card was starting to come together I just couldn't figure where to put ribbon. Probably just as well I missed the deadline. LOL

5 comments:

Tracy.H said...

These are beautiful!! :0)

Julie Temple said...

GORGEOUS!! What a great start on Christmas 2009!!

Rubber Hugs,
Julie

Sonya said...

Oh Nic you actually made one of those cards!! WOW I have been wanting to try that out so bad ever since I saw it. I need to get the punch to make them first..lol These are beautiful cards and I love the blue paper:) let me know if you need anymore!

Lucy said...

Nic these cards are BEAUTIFUL.. i hope i get one for Chrissy lol!!!

You are very talented my dear xxxx

nicky w. said...

These are so pretty!!! Can't wait to see what you create later this month!