Friday, March 28, 2008

Paper Bag Card

Firstly apologies for being a absent this week. We came back from our trip and I came down with a cold. I haven't felt like crafting until today so there wasn't anything to tell you guys about. We had so much fun at Moody Gardens though. I wrote all about it in my other blog. Your welcome to go check it out if you like. You can get to it via the link on the right that says Gorillamama (family).

So onto this card. It was my turn for swap choices again and I was feeling like doing something a little different so I picked this. I have made Paper Bag Cards once before but it was some time ago and I have had an urge to try them again. For this one I decided to christen my Pick a Petal SU set. I have a few in my cupboard that just don't see ink straight away. I am working on remedying that.

All you need for your card base is a paper lunch sack folded in half. When folded in half the paper bag measures 5.5 x 5.5 inches so it's kinda just like making a square card. I make sure that the opening is to the back of the card so that you have the option to use it when the card is finished for either photo's, a letter, newspaper articles (my mom sends me these alot, she likes to keep me up to date with stuff back in Wales or just interesting things she sees) or even a packet of seeds for someone with a green thumb.

My color choices for this card were Green Galore, Rose Red and Tempting Turquoise. For my back green piece I used a tear edge, normally I would do it myself but I wanted to make sure the torn edge was as straight as a torn edge could be. It was approx 5 x 5 inches once torn. The stamped white piece's measure 4.5 x 4.5 inches and the turquoise is 4 x 4 inches. I added a stripped ribbon from Jo-Ann's which seemed to match the rose color pretty well. Then I stamped and cut out all my petals there are 10 in total. I stuck half of them down and then placed the other half with dimensionals so they pop up at you a little. You still need to add just a little adhesive to the middle point of the petal or your center will not stay put.

I stamped the center and punched it out with a 1 inch circle punch. I punched out a 1 1/4 in the turquoise to go behind it. I then punched 2 little holes to feed my hemp cord through both the circles and the clear button. By doing this I saved having to stick the button to it and the possibility of you being able to see what adhesive I may have used. Also when I tied the hemp I put the tiniest amount of liquid glue on the knot so it ensures it will not come undone. I then stuck it to the almost finished card with sticky strip. The front was finished. Inside I repeated the white and turquoise card on both sides inside both for the purpose of writing on it but also to hide the bulky base of the paper bag which is on the left hand side.

The inspiration for this card came from a square card I spotted on Splitcoast Stampers here it is:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/852171?cat=10364

Thanks for coming by to take a look.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Oooh yippee..I get one of these right? I just LOVE it..Im so excited now..lol beautiful job Nic!